Recently, my good friend and local traffic reporting luminary, Stan Burford, got me up in the KGO Radio Traffic helicopter on a beautiful day where I could put my Nikon D200 through it’s paces. I think you’ll enjoy the results. We’re blessed here in the Bay Area with some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. Picture can be found through the photography page on my site, or directly here.
The ships you see are known as the Mothball Fleet. They include the Glomar Explorer, famous for attempting the recovery of a Soviet Submarine during the Cold War, and the USS Iowa battleship. Other notable highlights were
- an orbit around my house in San Rafael,
- two passes by the Golden Gate Bridge,
- the Palace of Fine Arts,
- Fisherman’s Wharf, * Coit Tower,
- San Francisco Skyline,
- AT&T Park,
- the Bay Bridge,
- a shot of the KGO TV helicopter, and
- McAfee park, home of the Oakland A’s, who you can see warming up on the field.
Thanks to Gary and Terry (reporter and pilot) for making this a most memorable experience! Gregg